Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lego Organization



Thanks to the ideas that I found on pinterest, the LEGOs are now organized and ready to be made into new creations.  In the fall we spent one Saturday morning sorting the LEGOs by color.  The original idea was to put all the sets back together.  That seemed like a daunting task and one that the kids could not do by themselves.  The containers that we used for our impromptu sort were of all sizes and shapes.  They were stored in the drawers and were not easy for the kids to use.

My goal was for the kids to be able to play with the LEGOs sooner rather than later because it felt like a waste of money to have LEGOs that the kids could not use.  The day after Christmas I made a trip to The Container Store to buy 20 of their shoe boxes.  I dumped all the colors into different boxes.

This weekend, I finally got around to putting the labels on the boxes deciding to go with color organization rather than set organization.  The deal is that the LEGOs can be played with all week and stored in the right drawer of the LEGO table, but, every Sunday, the "projects" will be resorted by color.  The left drawer is for LEGO magazines and instruction manual which are in a binder with clear plastic sleeves.  Our LEGO table is a garage sale find in our neighborhood.

Thank you to heatherjslife.blogspot.com for the box labels, and alison.knitsmiths.us for the idea to use the same containers so they stack.  iheartorgainzing.blogspot.com also had a really cool IKEA shelving unit that she used for LEGO storage by color; but I did not find that idea until after I had bought the shoe boxes.



No comments:

Post a Comment